What is my subfloor & how to cut through it?

Old 03-19-06, 07:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is my subfloor & how to cut through it?

Hi,

The kitchen in the small ranch house we recently bought doesn't have any heating/cooling air coming into it so it is always at least 5-10 degrees different from the rest of our house. I have access to the floor underneath the kitchen and it is relatively easy to run a duct from the plenum to a boot where I can install a register on the floor. So I've marked the area and tried to drill a test hole in the floor (from the top down) to see how difficult it would be to cut a hole (4" x 10"). The floor has square tiles over some sort of subfloor - I'm not sure what it is. I immediately destroyed my wood bit on my drill, it couldn't go through the subfloor. I then tried a bit for glass & tile - I was able to get through the subfloor with that.

Anyone know what the subfloor could possibly be made of? And what would you suggest as a method to cut through it? I tried my Sawzall with a course grit blade (for fiberglass, slate & plaster) - that didn't seem to do the trick. I was thinking of picking up a cement blade for my circular saw - I imagine that would work. Problem will be cutting the short (4") side - I won't be able to use the circular saw there. Are there blades anyone would recommend for either a Sawzall or a jig saw?

Thanks!
Bob

Old 03-19-06, 08:32 PM
B
Get yourself an angle grinder.

Old 03-20-06, 06:53 AM
B
Thanks - I should have thought of that. I think I have a masonary disk that I'll try.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: