steel beam calculator anywhere?

Old 03-29-06, 10:48 AM

I've found span calculators for wooden floor joists, etc., on the internet, but nothing similar for steel I-beams (except for folks trying to sell software or books). I've calculated that for 15 lb. deadload and 30 lb. 'live' load, I can span at least 9' with 2x6 southern pine on 16" centers for floor joists. I want to rest those 2x6's between some 4x4 steel I-beam I have, which from memory is about 10 lbs. or so, per foot of steel, if that helps. My gut, and the minor 'sag' or 'give' I witness with known loads, suggests I am safe in putting those I-beams every 6', rather than the 9' or so that the wood is rated at. Does anyone have a calculator site at hand, or other informed advice? The 4" steel is already on hand and we're trying to keep the total floor support system to a minimum height. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 07:58 AM
vmweenie
Visiting Guest
I'm in a similar pickle. I was actually looking to size a flitch plate but did find one steel beam table.

There's some excellent info on how to make your calculations at U Mass:

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...an_tables.html

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...and_beams.html

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...s_headers.html

For steel beams, look at the last section of

http://www.toolbase.org/Docs/MainNav...ocumentID=2947

I mentioned that I was interested in a flitch plate, because I already have a microlam beam. That toolbase document only spec'ed glu-lams. I did manage to size my flitch plate through a bit of "reverse engineering" from the tables at betterheader.com. I don't know if there's anything there that would be of use to you though.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Lancashire
I've found span calculators for wooden floor joists, etc., on the internet, but nothing similar for steel I-beams (except for folks trying to sell software or books). I've calculated that for 15 lb. deadload and 30 lb. 'live' load, I can span at least 9' with 2x6 southern pine on 16" centers for floor joists. I want to rest those 2x6's between some 4x4 steel I-beam I have, which from memory is about 10 lbs. or so, per foot of steel, if that helps. My gut, and the minor 'sag' or 'give' I witness with known loads, suggests I am safe in putting those I-beams every 6', rather than the 9' or so that the wood is rated at. Does anyone have a calculator site at hand, or other informed advice? The 4" steel is already on hand and we're trying to keep the total floor support system to a minimum height. Thanks much.

Old 03-30-06, 08:41 AM
steel beam calculator

Thanks alot for that last link to the steel beam 'allowable load' chart. I had seen similar sites to the joist calculator pages, but nothing on steel so that will be very helpful, although I'm wondering if I amreading it correctly where it seems to say that a 4 1/8" x 4" beam spanning 12' could handle 267 lbs. per foot ! That would be a total capacity of more than 2700 lbs, which seems overly optimistic, but mebbe so ! Makes my paltry 35 lbs. / ft. seem safe enough, anyway :-) Thanks again.

Old 03-31-06, 05:21 AM
vmweenie
Visiting Guest
...although I'm wondering if I amreading it correctly where it seems to say that a 4 1/8" x 4" beam spanning 12' could handle 267 lbs. per foot ! That would be a total capacity of more than 2700 lbs, which seems overly optimistic, but mebbe so ! Makes my paltry 35 lbs. / ft. seem safe enough, anyway :-) Thanks again.
That's the way I read it too. Dang, that steel is pretty strong. Since you're only at 35 lb./ft. I guess I'll skip the warning to include the weight of the beam itself. Oops!

Old 03-31-06, 04:31 PM

You may be OK for strength -

There are more important things like deflection and bounce that cannot be put in a "cookie cutter" chart. These can lead to many problems like wall cracks, problems with floors that require low deflection, etc.

Think twice about using scrap steel just because it is available.

Doubling the beam depth increases the strength by 4 times and decreases the deflection by 8 times.

It might be better to use the right materials and not waste your valuable DIY efforts on a poor result.

Dick

Old 04-24-06, 01:41 PM
Steel Beam Spans Table

http://www.richmond.ky.us/Department...el%20beams.pdf

Old 01-22-08, 09:32 PM
Steal beam calculator

For those of you who found this by a search engine, I have a spreadsheet I created to do steel beam calculations to figure out what I needed for my 19' span on my deck. I used a stanard liv weight of 40osf for a deck (60psf for house room) and a calculated 7.8psf dead weight instead of the standard 10psf. Then I found a a web site I printed out to find a beam that meets the requirements using the values of S and I Go to: http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/RolledSteelBeamsW.cfm

In my case a W8x10 worked with a Ixx=30.8 and a Zxx=7.81 to meet the calculated I=27.50 and S=6.41 found below.

If you would like a copy, let me know. I wish I could just attach it. Below is a cut and paste from the cells. You might be able to follow it and create your own. Cut and paste in to 4 columns by 24 rows.

Length = L= 19 ft
Width = W= 10 ft

Live Load = 40 psf
Deflection Limitation "= L/360" 0.63 inch
2x10 weight 3.8 lbs/sq-ft
Decking 4 lbs/sq-ft

Load Calculations
# of 2x10 "=(LX12/16) 14
Tributary Area "=W/2*L" 95 sq-ft
Weight of 2x10 "=(#of 2'x10') X Weight X 5)) / L 14.25 lbs/ft
Weight of Decking DeckWeight X W/2 20 lbs/ft
Total Dead Load 34.25 lbs/ft
Live Load 40psf X W/2 200 lbs/ft
Total Load Weight= 234.25

Beam Formula
M=wl^2/8 Weight X Length /8 x 12inches M= 126846.375 in lbs
Allowable bending stress s= 19800 psi

S=M/s S= 6.41 in^3

I=5wl^4/384 ED I= 27.59 in^4

Old 01-24-08, 12:16 PM
you say you have 9' 2 x 6 framing into this beam

but you don't mention if anything is framing into the other side of this beam. If you have only 9' /2 x 45 = 202.5 plf. If you have something framing into this from the other side it will likely be overstressed. Also as others have mentioned you might want to consider the deflection as your governing factor.

Old 04-09-13, 01:45 PM
Steel beam to span 28m footbridge

hello, please could one of you clever guys give me some guidance, i need to construct a foot bridge over my pond, 28m x about 1.5m wide (big pond). Id like to use 2x rsj for the main support and build the bridge around these, like an upside down railroad. I can support it with concrete piles but how many would i need and what size rsj. Im looking for the most cost effective way , so the amount of supports against the size of rsj, i am thinking maybe 2 concrete piles per 28m rsj at approx 9m and 18m, i really have no clue or experience in the loading of rsjs.
Any help would be most welcome!
James