floor strength

Old 03-31-06, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floor strength

I have a house built in the mid-80s that has a strange floor setup under a partition wall seperating my two bathrooms on the second floor. I discovered it when I was ripping up the rotted ply subfloor. There is no joist under the wall because of plumbing from the two baths and what was done is odd to me at least. The framers doubled up a joist on each side of the wall and then nailed 2x4s to them to support 2x8s laid flat side by side the entire length of the wall. They are nailed to the 2x4s. The span of the 2x8s is around 44". The wall was built on this. Should i consider this as strong as if a joist was under there?? I plan on having both sides of this wall tiled so there will be considerable weight added. My other concern is there are a few cuts in the 2x8s for vent stack and drains which is taking strength from them. Any input would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-06, 08:46 AM
Andy: This is an acceptable building practice. This is done for the plumbing reasons. It is as strong and sometimes even stronger then a joist. You should be just fine. Tile does not weight that much. Good Luck

Old 04-01-06, 10:03 AM
Thanks jack. I figured it is probably a strong configuration but wasn't sure. As silly as this may sound I took a left over 2x8 joist I had in my garage and put it on a couple of blocks of wood the exact span of what's under my wall. I'm 220lbs and the board only bowed slightly when i stood on it. Since there are 12 of them supporting the wall I guess 500lbs of tile,cbu and mortar weight shouldn't be a problem. thanks again

Old 04-01-06, 10:50 AM
Andy:
Your very welcome. Have a good day.