Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Where to begin??

Visiting Guest

04-04-06, 08:38 AM   #1  
windowb18
Where to begin??

Originally, our house was a 2-storey house. Then, an addition (the kitchen) was added to the back many years ago. What was the original back exterior wall, has a chimney on it (so the chimney now runs through the kitchen). The chimney was partially supported by the frame, and mainly supported by concrete blocks, thick pieces of wood etc.

Over time, those supports have shifted, and have caused that piece of the floor and framing to sag (it's now carrying the bulk of the weight). We've removed the kitchen floor (lots of renovating going on), so if you're in the kitchen, and looking at what was the original exterior wall, the chimney has caused the beam to form a slight "V". We've upgraded the furnace, so the chimney is no longer needed, and we will be removing it.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Is it okay to leave it as is?? With the chimney gone, there will be no further stress on this framing piece. Or is this something that should either be supported as is, or jacked up.

2. If it's not okay to leave it, who is the right type of person to contact for this type of problem?? Foundation experts, general contractors, structural engineers??

We don't want to waste any more time calling in the wrong people to look at this problem. I'm not sure who an expert would be in this case.

I apologize for my lack of using the correct technical terms, but I hope I was able to explain what is going on.

Last edited by windowb18; 04-04-06 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsored Links

04-05-06, 05:44 AM   #2  
Some Options

It all depends on what you would like to have as an end result.

If it was me, I expose the floor joists and sils (if you haven't done so already) to find out exactly why they are sagging, to rule out water and insect damage. If there is damage, it would be wise, now while you have it open, to replace the damaged wood. If the joists and sils look fine, then I would proceed with options that best suit your needs. Do you plan on doing this yourself? If not, a general contractor would be a good step to go. No matter who you call in, just make sure they are liscensed, insured and bonded for your protection. Also, check out their references and ask them to see some previous jobs. You want to be able to have the confidence of who you are paying to do the work in your home.

If you decide to do this yourself, you can sure up the floor after you take out the chimmney. Remember to take the chimmney completely down below the subfloor, if not out completely. If the space below is subject to moisture, it may be a good idea to replace all the joists and sils (if you are able) with pressure treat lumber.
You also always want to support a load bearing wall. It sounds like the wall where your chimmney is is definately load bearing. You can do this several ways but it is better to consult with a general contractor.

SD

04-07-06, 04:22 AM   #3  
This is one of those things that is easy to do, but hard to explain. I have done lots of them, and they are all different. First of all you need take out the chimney. It was on an outside wall, but is now on an inside wall. This will not be an easy job and can easily result in injuries, so be careful. Once the chimney is out, take a common sense look at what it was sitting on. If you feel you need help, call a contractor. Some of the supports come right out, but others are tied into you old outside of your home. Just remember to think of it as the outside wall as your working even though it is now an inside wall. This will help you keep everything in perspective. Good Luck

Search this Thread