Increasing ceiling span

Old 04-04-06, 05:59 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Increasing ceiling span

I have a load bearing wall supporting 2x4 dimensional ceiling joists 16" O.C. currently the span is 8'9" I would like to increase the span to 14'. The ceiling is plaster not drywall. What suggestions does anyone have for doing this that is least intrusive on the current ceiling, I do have some room to work in the attic.
My initial thought is to span the distance with 2x6's set next to the 2x4's and then face nail to the 2x4's.

Last edited by crjdc; 04-04-06 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-07-06, 03:52 AM
Anything you do will be intrusive to your plaster ceiling. I don't have my span book with me, its out in my truck, but I do not believe 2x6's are adequate for a 14 foot span. I think it is 2 x 8's. But I may be wrong there. Good luck

Old 04-07-06, 03:56 AM
Hold everything. I just posted, and all of sudden realized that you mentioned a load bearing wall. If you are thinking of taking out the load bearing wall, do not do this with out an engineer or archit inspection. This is a bad deal. Now if you are going to leave the load bearing wall in place, thats a different story. But, if you were going to leave the load bearing wall in place, why would you want to increase the span. Is there something you have not told us here ?

Old 04-07-06, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
After I read the post several times, I came up with the same question. I believe they are moving the single support to gain an opening size. But, still the 2x4's mentioned, must be the bottom chord of a truss, surely. And you are right, 2x6=11+', and the 2x8 for the 14 would handle it, but here again, not sure what the final objective is going to be. Need a little more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: