Rotted sill plate replacement question

Old 04-05-06, 10:14 AM
Labman
Visiting Guest
Rotted sill plate replacement question

I'm working on an older cottage that was converted into a home, I'd guess and say 1930"s or 40's. I was preparing to build a low deck off the new addition,The original house and addition form an L with the deck going in the corner that is formed. I demo'ed the old brick/cement block porch and stairs on the older portion of the house, I discovered the sill was really rotted bad under the backdoor. This was covered up by the backporch that was (4'x4').I should add this area extends out from where the second floor starts upward and has a small crawl space under. I need to address the sill before proceeding with the deck, What are the options? I haven't gone in the crawl space yet but I guess I'll have to check the joist.
Is it possible to remove the rotted section of sill and sister in PT from the outside of the house? Once the deck is in place this area won't be accessible. I haven't dealt with this problem before. Any help is appeciated.

Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-06, 03:48 AM
You did not say, but I am guessing from what you have said that the rotten part is only about 4 or 5 feet long. You will have to jack up and probably put in block on the ends of the rotten area. Then cut out the rotten area, and replace with wood treated lumber. Then again put in blocks to hold the new sill in place as well as splicing it. Not being there, it is really hard to tell. This is only a guess from what you have told us. Good Luck

Old 04-07-06, 11:04 AM
Labman
Visiting Guest
Actually, I found out more info since I posted, I got into the crawl and there's a 6" beam on top of 2 lolly post in concrete supporting the floor with joist running from the beam out to the new exterior wall. There is virtually no load on this rotted section because of this beam carring the second floor along with the first floor joist from the old section and the new section. The section is strange because they bumped out the room 6 feet but didn't replace the foundation behind the stairs. They basically put the beam in and shot expanding foam to fill any voids. So, I'm going to sister in some pt up to the side of this beam and set it up on the foundation, make it snug and fill in any voids, the span is about 3 feet that needs replacement.
I think I can get by. The house is 1920's. Thanks for helping

Old 04-07-06, 06:29 PM
Your very welcome. Have a good day.