need help

Old 04-10-06, 02:18 PM
Exclamation need help

HELLO IM NEW TO HOUSE BUILDING BUT IM GOING TO BUILD A 40 BY 40 2 STORY HOUSE,CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT AMOUNT OF LUMBER I WILL NEED ,,LIKE HOW MANY 2X4 , OR HEADERS AND LENTHS ,PLANKS EXCETRA,,,,CAN ANY ONLY FIGURE THIS OUOUT FOR ME, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT no email addresses allowed in forums

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-25-07 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-06, 03:11 PM
Take the blueprints and shop drawings for your proposed house to the nearest lumberyard. They will be able to assist you in suggesting alternative materials for the project.
The number of rooms, doors and windows will affect the material required. The methods of access between the floors will also change the amount and types of materials required. The roof pitch and use of truss structures or stick-built rafters are a consideration. Got any chimneys involved? It will make a difference. Will the walls be 2x4 or 2x6 thickness?

Old 04-10-06, 04:55 PM
Cutter - the first thing you need to do is get a good set of plans. If you have the plans just go to a lumber yard (preferably the one where you're going to buy most of your materials) and ask them to take off from your plans. They should be able to provide you with a list of materials.
If you don't have plans, you have a couple of options. You can shop around for some plans that fit your needs on the internet. If you buy plans on line be aware that they might be cheaper but there is some risk that they wont meet all your needs. The other option is to get a local architect to draw up a set of plans based on what you are looking for in a house. An architect's plans should include the LOM that you are looking for. Whichever way you go, the very first step uis to get a good set of plans.