Minimum I beam Spans

Old 04-14-06, 07:53 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Minimum I beam Spans

I have just purchased a house and the builder has so graciously placed an I beam support post right in the middle of the room thereby making that space (16ft x 22ft) effectivly useless. I want to move it. The beam is 22 Ft long and joins with another I beam in a T formation. The joint is bolted and welded and has a support post. 8 feet from the joint is the culpret support post. I would like to move this support post and install it under the end of the I beam at the "T" The total span will become 22 ft. The I beam is 8" high. Options? If you like you can request a photo from me at djbonany@rogers.com

Old 04-14-06, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Minimum I beam Spans

The long and short of it (spans included) is that you need to hire a professional to give you options.

The beams and columns are there for a reason and no builder is gracious or is a charity that does things for free.

Find out what your options are. - I assume you already bought the home when the post was there.

Dick

Old 04-15-06, 09:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree , that post was placed there for a reason. It was placed exactly in that space for support. It also has a concrete footing under it. Now if you want to move it, you will need a structural engineer to look at what you want to do. I have seen cases where you could not even move the beam 1 foot because of structural support. Other times several feet were fine, but in all cases, an engineer must tell you, and get it in writing also. Moving a support beam in not a good thing.
Good Luck

Old 04-15-06, 10:34 AM
W
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If the I beam you are talking about is an 8" I joist, there is no way you are going to get a 22' span without intermediate support.
However, IMO there are few problems that can't be solved. Have an engineer evaluate it and I'm sure he will come up with a way to eliminate the post. Steel comes to mind. Or maybe a multiple V-lam. It will probably come down to how much you want to spend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: