Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Home Construction - Frame Walkthrough

04-22-06, 01:18 PM   #1  
New Home Construction - Frame Walkthrough

Hello everybody. Hope everyone that reads this is doing well. I am scheduled to do a frame walkthrough in a couple of weeks. Basically, I will walk through with the building superintendend and he will point out the features of the house. I would like to be a bit more knowledgable and was hoping someone here could give me a cheat sheet of what to look for / ask when I do this. I unfortunately don't have any friends in the construction industry so any help would be appreciated. For context, after the walkthrough, the next day dry walling will be started so I assume everything "behind the walls" will be done. thanks for your time and have a great day

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-22-06, 03:02 PM   #2  
Going off on a tangent, take along a digital camera with fresh batteries and take as many pics as will fit on your memroy card. When you save them, burn them to a cd/dvd and put in a safe location. Ten years from now when you want to do some work that involves worrying about where the wiring or plumbing is behind that drywall, you'll have something to refer to.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

SD

04-22-06, 05:12 PM   #3  
Maybe I am missing something here. I have done thousands of walk thru's with customers. In my company you had a framing walk thru, then a walk thru with the electrical contractor. This second walk thru was for you to tell me where you wanted your light switches and light fixtures. If they are getting ready to sheetrock, is the electrical already in. I have to assume so. And from your question, it sounds like you did not do an electrical walk thru. If not, why not? So, assuming that the electrical is already in, take along a good black marking pen, and look at where your switches are going to be, and also your plug ins and fixtures. If they are not where you want them, make them change them. Its your right. Now don't let them give this sheetrock guy will be here tomorrow story. Thats BS. Your going to be paying the mortgage. Now for the framing walk thru. Basically what your doing in this walk thru, your going to be looking at the floor plan you will have. Are the rooms in the right place, doors swinging the correct way, closets and bathrooms in the correct location, etc. You are not going to be looking for framing errors. This has already been done by the inspector. Good Luck. Just relax and enjoy and take lots of pictures.

04-24-06, 05:17 AM   #4  
Typically a framing walk through is done just prior to insulating. If you are saying the drywall is scheduled "the next day" then the insulation is already completed.

This is not a good situation as this does not allow you to see all the framing and the location of the wiring. Quite honestly, even if you wanted to make some minor adjustments at this stage, it is highly unlikely your builder will approve...especially if the drywallers are coming in the next day.

It seems your builder either is hiding something or he is unorganized and could not schedule your "framing inspections" on time.

Don't be shy to pull away the insulation if you feel something just does nto look right. Once the drywall is up, you will never know what's behind it.

04-25-06, 07:03 PM   #5  
Thanks for the replies. FYI - I went out to see the framing that has been complete and there are lots of issues according to a contractor friend. Things like horizontal pieces of wood (fire breaks) not been flush, poor quality lumber, not straight lines, nails exposed that were incorrectly nailes (called shiners). Hopefully this will be fixed by inspection. If not, do I have any recourse?

04-27-06, 04:51 PM   #6  
Can someone please help with my request. I am in desperate need of help!!!

04-28-06, 06:29 AM   #7  
Posted By: walter_hedingly Can someone please help with my request. I am in desperate need of help!!!
Did you see these deficiencies prior to your inspection with the contractor? If so, then what's the issue?

During your official inspection, point out the deficiencies you noted earlier and let your contractor respond to your concerns.

Welcome to the world of new home buying. I've been through it many times...

05-02-06, 05:16 AM   #8  
em69 - The issue is I do not understand how to expalin them. Jack has been of valuable assistance in this regard

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-02-06, 04:58 PM   #9  
Walter: As Jack stated at the end of his post, relax. Don't worry about the terminology. If you see something that you don't like, make a written mention of it, and take a picture. Believe me, no one wants to complete a job and have to come back after the sheetrock guys have left and move something. That is why you will be doing this walkthrough. I had rather move 10 switches today than to move them in 5 days after rock. Just make sure the doors swing the way you want them. There should be markings on the hinge side in marker telling the size and swing. Look for things like blocking behind where bathroom sinks go, just in case you decide on hanging a pedestal sink there someday. A good finish carpenter (if he/she has been chosen yet) will want to do a walkthrough at this time, also, just to make sure certain blocking is in place for his trim. Don't worry, he will know what to look for, and it is for his convenience to look for them.
Take it easy and enjoy the process.

TN

05-08-06, 04:42 PM   #10  
Framing walkthrough

Insulation and wiring have been mentioned. Don't forget the plumbing.
If you have issues with lumber quality, contact the quality control organization whose stamp is on the lumber. They will send an experienced professional familiar with lumber grading to the job site to verify that lumber used is of the correct grade as stamped. Do this before the framing is covered with drywall.

Search this Thread