Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage conversion flooring advice?

04-23-06, 07:27 PM   #1  
Garage conversion flooring advice?

Excuse me if this is the wrong forum choice, moderators please move as necessary!

We are planning on converting our 17X20 garage into a family/playroom. I would like to hear some opinions on the flooring. We are on a very limited budget and my plan was to use pressure treated 2x4 sleepers with standard T&G flooring over top. I know I'll need to use a plastic barrier under it all, however we don't have any cracking issues or moisture problems in the slab.

My main question is how to insulate the floor. Since I am using the 2x4 sleepers, I thought some kind of rigid foam would do the trick but am unfamiliar with what's available as far as thickness goes. Does that sound like a good way to go? We haven't decided on the actual flooring, probably carpet or perhaps some kind of resilient tile. We are in eastern North Carolina and have fairly mild temps here.

Thanks for any advice and/or opinions!

Howard

Sponsored Links

04-24-06, 02:59 PM   #2  
I would put ceramic or porclin tile down right on the concrete. good srrong floor!
Posted By: Powerstroke Excuse me if this is the wrong forum choice, moderators please move as necessary!

We are planning on converting our 17X20 garage into a family/playroom. I would like to hear some opinions on the flooring. We are on a very limited budget and my plan was to use pressure treated 2x4 sleepers with standard T&G flooring over top. I know I'll need to use a plastic barrier under it all, however we don't have any cracking issues or moisture problems in the slab.

My main question is how to insulate the floor. Since I am using the 2x4 sleepers, I thought some kind of rigid foam would do the trick but am unfamiliar with what's available as far as thickness goes. Does that sound like a good way to go? We haven't decided on the actual flooring, probably carpet or perhaps some kind of resilient tile. We are in eastern North Carolina and have fairly mild temps here.

Thanks for any advice and/or opinions!

Howard

04-24-06, 04:34 PM   #3  
Posted By: jerzeedivr I would put ceramic or porclin tile down right on the concrete. good srrong floor!
I would LIKE to do that, but my little boy's tootsies would be too cold in the winter, although that would be great in the summer! I need a bit of insulation in there, no matter the choice of flooring.

After reading up in here, I am thinking of using Dricore panels. My problem now is that I can't seem to locate it anywhere in North Carolina! Home Desperate doesn't carry it anymore.

Search this Thread