Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drawing plans for shed dormer

MO

05-05-06, 12:06 PM   #1  
drawing plans for shed dormer

We want to remodel our attic, including adding a shed dormer. We will be hiring a carpenter directly, or a contractor to do the work. Our city does not require architectural plans--just kitchen table drawings. An architecht would charge us around $4000 to draw the plans, but the project will only cost (we hope) between $15-20 thousand.
My "Permanent Boyfriend" with whom I own the house is trying to draw the plans himself and thinks he knows what he is doing. He has done some work with architects in the past (doing acoustical work) and is familiar with reading architectural drawings. He is drawing everything to scale, and believes he understands how the dormer must be placed in relation to the floor/ceiling joists. We also know the basic BOCA requirements, such as minimum dimensions of the room, egress and hallway requirements. We plan to pay a structural engineer approve it all before we go forward.
Is it foolish to try to do this without an architect? What might my "PB" probably do wrong or forget to do in drawing up the plans so that they are good enough for a carpenter to use them in contructing the dormer? Thanks, JKM

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-05-06, 12:28 PM   #2  
Go to the carpentry forum for an answer.

Search this Thread