rotten floor joist

Old 05-14-06, 02:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rotten floor joist

I have a big problem! I just moved into my new house 2 months ago, and there are floor joist the are rotting away. it is on an addition to the house the room is 15'x15' it is built above a crawl space and they never put a vapor barior down. so all the joist are rotten. the sil plate is almost completly gone... my question is would it be possible for me to sister all the joist. then jack the house up and replace the sil plate???

Old 05-14-06, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What part of the country are you from? There are lots of crawl space situations...old houses...that don't have issues with no vapor barrier.

Your house hasn't seen literal standing water under it has it?

As far as your plan goes, I would say you have no other choice.

Old 05-14-06, 07:43 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you get done fixing your joists and sills you might look into some cross ventilation and drainage for your crawl space. How old is the house/addition?

Old 05-15-06, 03:35 PM
J
I live in N.H The house was built in 1930 but im not sure when the addition was put on. There is now water in the crawl space. The joist are only a couple of feet above the dirt. The dirt always feels very moist.... Sould i use p.t lumber for the joist????

Old 05-19-06, 10:02 AM
D
You should not have to use PT lumber... Fix the water problem or the rotting will continue (even with PT lumber). Ensure the house perimeter has proper drainage (ie. drain tiles).

Old 05-19-06, 05:34 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Considering our recent weather, the crawl space might be wet just from the torrential rains. I've quit working on my house and started on my ark.

I agree that you shouldn't have to use pressure treated however, it wouldn't hurt. I have a shed that's one block up from the ground w/o a vapor barrier. I built it 22 years ago using PT joists and it's still standing - no rot.
If it were me I would replace the sills with PT. I would probably install new PT joists and put down a vapor barrier. I would also make sure there was cross ventilation in the space.

Old 05-30-06, 09:45 AM
T
Vapor barrier

I am in process of doing the same. Where does vapor barrier go? Thanks

Old 09-20-08, 06:57 AM
D
help i have a similar problem

Okay let me start at the beginning my mother and I moved into a 50 year old house with an addition in Northern VA. A few years after we moved in we found out that in the kitchen behind the sink and dishwasher there had been a slow leak. We have for about four or so years now have had the leak fixed. However while getting it fixed we found that the leak had caused one maybe two floor joist to rot and at least on of the possible two to crack. Now for a long time we have been low on funds and can not afford to have some one come in and fix it, also my mother is scared that they will just condemn the home instead. The joist that I know is cracked runs right down the center of the home and is about 20-30 feet long, is above a crawl space and connects to the addition which has a separate crawl space. Also then linoleum flooring had broken to where a hole went into the crawl space. The two crawl spaces are separated by a cinder block wall. We were hoping to get a few jacks in there and slowly over time raise the home back up. We at one time did have a contractor look at it and he said to replace the joist he would have to knock out part of the front cinder block wall.As a stop gap measure we put a large piece of plywood over the are above the joist because that are happens to be our laundry room. Neither my mother or I are very handy beyond what came with our genetics. Also if we could we would like to fix it in as green of a way as possible. I can give more info as requested but right now I am stuck and worried cause the signs of the floor sagging are becoming even more apparent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: