Ridge Beam Support

Old 05-15-06, 04:56 PM
Ridge Beam Support

I have a section of my house that is roughly 50' x 16'. Roof is fairly flat, say 6 to 1. Roof is supported with rafters and a ridge beam (i.e. simple span roofs). There are no ceiling joists, it is all open.

This room is partitioned off with 2 walls equally spaced - giving this ridge beam 4 points of bearing.

I desire to remove one of these walls to open up the area. In place of this wall I wish to place a beam to hold the load that the wall was holding. I wish to preserve the hieght and don't want to put in a truss or anything complicated.

Would it be ok to just place a beam directly under the ridge beam (i.e. touching) and just use some sort of saddle to hold the ridge beam to my new beam? My new beam would go from wall to wall (span of 16 feet) and ofcourse I would strengthen the foundation.

I just never seen that done and need a confirming opinion that that is ok.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-06, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Jm2006

I desire to remove one of these walls to open up the area. In place of this wall I wish to place a beam to hold the load that the wall was holding. I wish to preserve the hieght and don't want to put in a truss or anything complicated.

thanks
I wish I saw this thread sooner. These are fun.

Are you sure you mean "beam' in place of teh wall? Sure yo don't want a post going uyp to the beam for suport when yo take out the wall? For all you know, those beams that coem and go from awall section to wal sevction may end ontop of each wal section. Unless i am not folowing this at all.

Like, how can a wall support a ridge beam unless you have a cathedral ceiling, where then the bearing wall (you say you have 4) goes up to the ceiling itself? (I work on condos that have this.)

I used to own a beach house that was post and beam construction, with all the walls almost filled in with glass. No ceiling joists were needed because the rafters sat ON the ridge beam and therefore the walls will not spread apart as long as the rafters sit ON a beam and are secured.

I also built and custom modified a blueprinted a-frame 20 years ago where the plans called for a flitch plate beam to increase the load bearing capability within a 3 1/2 inch thick wall cavity where an expansive load bearing header had to go. Such a beam is a 2 x10 or 2 x 12 that has 1/4 inch? plate steel sandwiched in between it. So, I opened up some other area of the house that was to have a top plate with studded walls below it, and eliminated it, and I fabricated my own either 12 foot (I think) flitch plate beam. (My cousin who lives down there never said the house collapsed so I think I'm okay. )

I hope you are still around and post back.