Rotted Sill Plate Replacement

Old 05-17-06, 05:09 AM
Rotted Sill Plate Replacement

Home Inspection at my mother-in-laws house prior to sale revealed a rotted sill plate under the front entrance door due to water leak. About 8' will need to be replaced.

I cannot access the sill plate from the outside due to a concrete stoop being in the area of the rot, so I have to get at the sill from the inside. There is an interior finished wall next to the foundation wall that is secured to the bottom of the floor joists. A section will have to be removed to access the rotted area.

I plan on jacking the floor just enough to get the old sill out and the sime size sill in, but this time use PT.

Since this is a rancher, I'm not talking about a lot of weight to jack, but my question is, how far from the foundation wall should I install my jacking beam. I plan to use 2-10' 2x6s nailed together. This should lift all of the joists that rest on the rotted section.

I need to have room to work, so I'm thinking between two and three feet back from the foundation wall should be about right. Any thoughts if this sounds right?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-06, 04:11 AM
Never Mind

No need to reply to my questions. Buyer agreed to $2000 off of sale price and they will find a contractor to tackle the job.

Personally, I think they will have a very difficult time finding somebody that will do it for that price who will take the time to save the paneling that must be taken off the inerior basement wall to be reinstalled. Also it is going to be a @#$%^ job which will scare off most contractors. Why get into this kind of headache when you can do a new construction deck or addition.

A search of this forum showed that I was probably going to be attempting to replace too much plate at one time. I was going to try to get an 8' piece in at one time, but another post said that 4' max was best. If the cut in the sale price didn't work, I would have adjusted my plan and gone for two 4' section of plate instead of the full 8' at once.

Can't wait to get this whole mother-in-law house sale/move over with!! Once she moves into her apartment, the maintenance man for the building can take care of all her problems.