Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cutting a stud for shelving

05-23-06, 04:57 PM   #1  
cutting a stud for shelving

I have a raised ranch style house. I would like to build shelves into a downstairs interior wall to hold av equipment. The wall backs up to a closet giving me access to the back. This wall does not go up to the top floor ceiling but supports one side of the living room above the downstairs. Am I safe cutting into one stud in the middle of this wall, then framing around it to support this stud? Should the weight above it be an issue for the couple hours the stud will not be supporting it?

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-23-06, 09:44 PM   #2  
Eric, only you can see your situation, but normally the weight is not a problem as long as you immediately support it. If it is load bearing, you will have to build a header on top and continue the studs as jacks on top and bottom along with your framing in order to maintain integrity of the wall, and to give you nailers for your sheetrock or wall covering.
If you feel intimidated by the wall, you could always go inside the closet about 1 foot and build a temporary wall with a 2x4 on top and bottom and studs along the length to give vertical strength. Once you have completed the hole, you can remove the temp wall.

Search this Thread