Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Treating cut edge of PT

NY

05-30-06, 09:04 AM   #1  
Treating cut edge of PT

Is it still necessary to treat cut edge of PT/ACQ? and with what? Thanks

Sponsored Links

06-04-06, 12:55 PM   #2  
Can anybody answer this question please? I have the same question.
Cyrus

MI

06-05-06, 06:19 AM   #3  
I never do and have no complaints from and customers.

MN

06-05-06, 11:36 AM   #4  
Treating cut edge of PT

It depends on what you are willing to accept.

It was suggested to paint the cuts on the old CCA preservated wood with a concentrated solution of CCA. In many applications, it was required. Due to the nature of the preservative, complaints and criticism, it was taken off the market.

The new preservative, ACQ, is thought of as being more "people/ecology friendly" or less toxic, does not have much of a track record yet. - Only a few years on a product advertised as lasing 30 to 50 years.

The end grain of wood is particularly susceptible to absorbtion and damage, so it makes sense to preserve it if possible. I don't know if a concentrated solution for non-pressure application is readily available. This was one of the problems with the CCA concentrate.

Dick

07-10-06, 01:44 PM   #5  
Many people out my way use something like Termin-8. Though some feel it's overkill, I like it myself for things like fence railings and porch framing. Whenever I see rotted exterior wood, it's usually starting from the cut end grain side.

07-10-06, 01:45 PM   #6  
Forgot the link:

http://www.homaxproducts.com/product.../09/index.html

07-12-06, 11:26 AM   #7  
It shouldn't be necessary. Pressure treated should be treated throughout, not just on the outside. If the PT lumber you buy isn't treated on the inside (still white on the inside of a cut) you should buy your treated lumber somewhere else. My 2 cents.

MN

07-12-06, 12:43 PM   #8  
Treating cut edge of PT

It is not just a matter of the pressure treatment penetrating.

Good treated lumber use a ant-fungicide for mold, etc. AND a water repellant. Some do not have a water repellant. Often the water repellant material does not penetrate.

The end cut is more susceptible and needs more protection because it can absorb more moisture and is more susceptible to the damage from wetting and drying cycles.

It can't hurt since wood needs all the protection it can get.

Dick

Search this Thread