Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

leveling subfloor

06-19-06, 08:29 AM   #1  
leveling subfloor

I am having a new house built and it is time to install the stone tile. My tile guy said the subfloor is not level in some areas and he will not lay the backerboard until it is level. The subfloor lays on 2x12 joists that are doubled up in areas with a lot of stone above. How do I go about having the subfloor leveld? Do I have to rip out the 2x12 joists that are not level or bowed? Please help.

Sponsored Links

06-19-06, 09:17 AM   #2  
I can't imagine that a new house would have a floor so out of level that someone would refuse to install on it. No floor is ever perfectly level so how does it look to the eye? Level is not so important as flat or "plane" If there are a lot of crests and valleys then it could be trouble. If this is new construction then it's the builder you should be talking to. Either the floor was built terribly or your tile guy is a little over sensitive.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

06-19-06, 04:25 PM   #3  
You say there already IS stone above? I don't get what you mean. You are GOING to lay new stone tile. But there already is stone above, yet you want to go down to the 2 x 12's and fix the bowing? Are you ripping out an old stone floor? Is THat IT?If you do, you could use a power or hand plane to get it flat, or a belt sander.

06-19-06, 04:57 PM   #4  
There is no stone on yet. My tile installer came over to lay the backerboard for the stone and found a few areas where the subfloor was arched directly over the truss. He said it was just enough to make him uncomfortable about installing. He ended up grinding it down so now it is closer to level. Thanks

Search this Thread