used wrong sized nails for framing

Old 06-24-06, 09:30 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
used wrong sized nails for framing

hi -

am midway through framing some interior non-LB walls, and have used 10d nails for toenailing the studs to the top/bottom plates. had assumed this was right, but just looked at the building code, which specifies 2 16d nails or 3 8d nails.

would this apply to both LB and non-LB walls? or are there different standards for the non-LB walls in which case my 2 10d's each for top/bottom would be sufficient? (didn't see anything that would suggest that, just trying to justify what i already did)

i'm assuming that the easiest remedy is just to pop a 3rd 10d at the top/bottom of each stud? or would people suggest just waiting for the inspection and see if it's even an issue?

thanks in advance

Old 06-24-06, 10:33 PM
B
Was there a reason you couldn't build the walls on the ground and stand them up? You only want to toe in all your studs if you can't for some reason. Anyway I have never heard of an inspection failing because of the size nails that were used. Once you have on your sheetrock the wall wont go anywhere.

Old 06-25-06, 05:43 AM
Put the extra nail in, last time i checked drywall wasn't weight bearing or structural..

Old 06-25-06, 11:51 AM
Are these partition walls sitting on wood or concrete? If concrete, you may want to install a few concrete anchors through the bottom plate to keep it from moving. If the concrete is new, a powder gun can be used for this.
If wood, you probably should drive a few nails through the bottom plate into the decking below to serve the same purpose.

Old 06-25-06, 07:50 PM
E
thanks for the replies...

i had decided to stick build the partitions because the adjacent wall is out of plumb, and the ceiling joists aren't level (this was pre-existing). at the time, this seemed easier than trying to frame it on the ground and raise it into place.

the walls are sitting on 3/4" OSB subfloor, and lie parallel to the floor joists. i drove a 10d nail through each stud bay, which checks out with code. i pretty much decided to go ahead and add the 3rd 10d nail top and bottom to each stud, just to try and be proactive for when the inspection happens.

thanks everyone for the responses

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: