Floor Joist Support?

Old 07-03-06, 03:47 AM
Floor Joist Support?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my Basement ceiling the floor joists have what look like small "cross supports" between the joists. Between each joist there are two of these "supports" that form an "x" with eachother as they connect between the top of one joist & the bottom of the adjacent joist. These "supports" are apporximately 3" wide by 3/4" thick by about 14" long at the most. If I wished to remove one are there any real risks to any structural integrity? I can't imagine that these small peices of wood, especially just one is doing much to strengthen the joists. If anything they look more like they just help keeping the joists spaced properly. The reason I wish to remove one is to make more room for moving a heating pipe. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They are placed there to keep the floor joisting from twisting and causing creaks in your floor. If your house has been there for some time you shouldn't have a problem removing them to install ducting. What I ususally do when I install ducting in the void is install a 2x4 flush with the bottom rim of the joist at the same interval to keep all in order, and to add support to hold up the ducting. Removing one will present no problem.

Old 07-03-06, 09:29 PM
thank you for the feedback