Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

French drain in crawl space

07-03-06, 10:53 PM   #1  

There is a french drain around the perimeter of my crawl space. The interior soil floor is dry as a bone, but the soil between the drain and the foundation is damp...all the way around. Any ideas about what is causing this? We've had a lot of rain lately, so that may be the cause. Is this normal? I'm a little worried about the soil becoming too soft causing settlement at the perimeter.

Sponsored Links

TN

07-04-06, 06:04 AM   #2  
French Drain

This water is coming under your footer, or through the foundation. A drain on the exterior side should correct this. Should have been done during construction and back filling of the foundation.

MN

07-04-06, 06:49 AM   #3  

If your interior soil is dry and the soil between the drain and foundation is just damp, this is normal and your french drain is doing its job. If you had water in the interrior portion, there could be concern.

There is always subsurface moisture, especially after rainy periods.

I would not put in an additional drain, since it would not change the conditions appreciably. In many cases, an interior drain is preferable to an exterior drain.

Any settlement would occur if the DEEP soil under the foundation and footing became completely saturated to the point it could move if it had a place to move to. To be effective for settlement, a new drain would have to be very deep - WELL BELOW the level of the bottom of the footing, not just near the foundation.

Dick

Search this Thread