Looking for advice on Water Damage

Old 07-06-06, 03:40 PM
Looking for advice on Water Damage

My house has a brick veneer and siding, both of which were poorly installed to say the least. This has resulted in some subfloor and sheathing damage underneath an exterior window due to exposure to the elements. Obviously, the damaged sheathing, subfloor, and part of the stud wall need to be replaced. My concern is that since this is a loadbearing wall, how do I support it while I remove the damaged wood? Is this as "simple" as building an additional support frame in the stud wall to hold the weight while I replace the damaged wood? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Inside the room, about 16" in from the outside wall, and across the bias of the ceiling joists, build an unattached stud wall that will take the weight of the outside wall. Once it is in place and jammed tight against the ceiling, you can safely remove the damaged vertical members and replace them.

Old 07-09-06, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the input. However, on the inside of the wall is a room with a 18' vaulted ceiling which would make building a freestanding stud wall a little difficult. Any other ways to build a suitable support frame?

Old 07-10-06, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
EEwww!! I see. How wide an area are you talking about. There may be an alternative way to do this. the main thing to keep in mind is not cracking the brick veneer.

Old 07-10-06, 01:36 PM
An examination of the subfloor from the basement shows about a 5' section of subfloor that will need to be replaced. I won't know exactly how big of an area until I open up the wall. The more I think about this, the more I believe I will need to have the brick work redone to ensure that this doesn't happen again. If I go this route, I won't have to worry about craking the brickwork because it will be removed while I'm fixing the stud wall and subfloor. I'm thinking I will create a temporary 2x4 frame inside the wall itself as I cut out the damaged wood. Make sense?

Search this Thread