Aligning studs - how close?

Old 07-10-06, 12:05 PM
Aligning studs - how close?

Hi all and thanks in advance for your help. I'm finishing my basement and started with framing the exterior walls. Even though I'm using what's supposed to be select grade 2x4s and being careful when assembling a section on the floor, once I put the wall up I notice that some of the studs are out of alignment with the others. I've got the studs 16''oc and am wondering how close they need to be in alignment so I don't end up with wavy drywall. Is it 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1/8th inch? I've got about 25' of wall already up so what is the best way to check and correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 10:24 PM
Be more prudent in selecting your material, sight down the length.
When faced with crowned material, place the concave side toward the inside and use drywall shims to true them up.
Save the turest of the lot for the interior walls.

Old 07-12-06, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Which alignment? Side to side, or are they warping in and out along the run of the wall? If side to side, then cutting the nails and realigning using a tape measure would be best. If they warp into the room, find the midpoint of the warp and cut a kerf in the edge of the 2x4 with a reciprocating saw about 2" deep. Drive a nail into and above the kerf, pointed down, sort of like toenailing. This will help bring the warp back into correctness. If it is warped backwards, still cut the kerf, but instead of nailing it run two shims side by side into the kerf until the bow comes out. Then nail it.

Old 07-12-06, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
I do like snoonyb said. Pick thru the pile, eyeball each stud. If they are a little bowed, draw an arrow on them to indicate which way they bow, and set them in a pile. The studs that are perfectly straight should especially be used around doors as the king and trimmer. The ones that are too bowed to be used can be cut up for smaller pieces where the bow will be irrelevant.

When you go to use the pile that has the arrows, just be sure they all get aligned with the arrows pointing the same direction. that way you won't have a stud that bows 1/4" out while the next one bows 1/4" in.

Old 07-23-06, 08:33 PM
All good advice so far. I'd just like to chime in my two cents and say that I like to use the absolute straightest studs in the kitchen and bathroom where cabinets will go against the wall. That eliminates a lot of headaches with the cabinet and counter top install.

Jeff

Search this Thread