how to fit plumbing in wall framing?

Old 07-12-06, 02:58 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to fit plumbing in wall framing?

hello -

i've framed a non-LB staggered stud wall (2x6 top & bottom plates with 2x4 studs 8" oc alternating sides). this wall has an approximately 2" pipe from the tub/shower that will connect to the main vent going through the roof.

the problem is that the pipe has to cross about 7 or 8 of these 6.5" stud bays to reach the main vent. the plumber said he needs about a 2.5" notch or hole to run the pipe.

i guess one option is to remove all the 2x4 studs, and install 2x6 studs 16" oc, but the code says holes can't be drilled any larger than 40% of the stud width. do they mean nominal width or actual width? either way, it will probably be more than 40%.

the other option would be to leave the studs as is, and run the pipe exactly in the middle, notching out about 1.25" from the inside edge of every stud.

can anyone provide any suggestions as to the best way to handle it?

thanks

Old 07-12-06, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Whether you cut the 2x4's or 2x6's, you are cutting the same amount of wood, since the maximum depth of the studs are dictated by the top and bottom plate, which is 2x6. The code you are referring to probably applies to load bearing walls. IF you cut more than 40%, you will need to install no nail plates across the shallowest part of the pipe arc to prevent accidental penetration by sheetrock screws.
Using the 2x4's was a noble act, but installing 2x6's, as you will admit, will make running the plumbing alot easier, and alot less cutting, and you don't need studs 8"oc. You have a gentleman for a plumber. Most of them will begin throwing things when they see a staggered plumbing wall.

Old 07-12-06, 05:12 PM
E
thanks for the reply chandler. i'll probably go ahead and take down the 2x4's and replace with 2x6's ....so much for my bright idea about noise reduction

btw, whats the spacing on 2x6's? is it every 24" oc?

Old 07-12-06, 06:21 PM
S
Notch the studs and be done with it, geez.

Old 07-12-06, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
No, make the oc the same as a 2x4 wall, 16". This helps determine a good fit and support for your sheetrock.

Old 07-13-06, 06:06 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you used 2X6 plates to get a bit more sound isolation, why not pull your 2X4 studs and turn them sideways. This will leave a2 1/2" space for your vent. In my area this is known as a wet wall and fairly common.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: