Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Joists/Beam:Termites & beetles & cracks, oh my!

07-22-06, 10:02 AM   #1  
Joists/Beam:Termites & beetles & cracks, oh my!

The Home: 1000 sq ft country cottage in the deep South, constructed mid-sixties, crawl-space

The Room: Kitchen, 14x17, outer room (1 wall is outer wall, other is center weight bearing, on main beam), tongue-groove hardwood flooring

The Problem: There is damage of some joists from powder post beetles and termites, one beam is cracked. The subfloor is spongy in one particular area - on either side of the main house beam (under large pass-through to liv. room) - but the flooring is still in good shape.

The Question(s): Can I go up - from the crawl space? Or must I go down - removing the flooring? Having just replaced another tongue-groove floor in an adjacent room - down to the ground (including joists and beam) - I don't relish removing this flooring, as well (not to mention cabinets and fixtures). However, the crawlspace is exactly that: could not possibly get in sitting position, even.

And yes, the house was treated for the pests - and water damage source corrected.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-22-06, 02:35 PM   #2  
Aahhhh, I love the deep south, sweet tea, polite people, termites, pine beetles, wooly algedids. We have it all, simply paradise.
I don't want to bust your bubble, but if your crawl space is that limited, you may be better off doing it from the top. Of course the hardwoods would have to be removed in the area of construction, but you may be able to reclaim them if you are careful. Hopefully your subflooring wasn't damaged as well. Check it out to be sure, as you may have to replace it as well.
Good luck with the project!

Search this Thread