Front load washer and dryer too heavy?

Old 07-24-06, 03:47 PM
Question Front load washer and dryer too heavy?

We bought LG front load washer and dryer without knowing that they are so heavy (about 300 lb for the two when empty). They are located in lundry room (about 6 x 5 feet) on first floor. There is a basement under.

I did a measure. The joints size are 1.5x7 and 16" apart. The laundry room is ajcent to family room and there is a sister joint under the wall. There is a small bath room next to lundry room. Bath and landry room sit on three joints that span about 10 feet. The washer prety much sits on one joint.

The floor (especially the bath room) feels bouncing up and down when the washer spins. A tech came and suggested us to redo the laundry room floor with cement board and tiles (it is vinyl on top of subfloor right now) so the load will spread to more than one joint.

My question is the washer and dryer, plus the cement board and tiles. will these be too heavy to the floor and might cause any damage?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 09:29 PM
I have the Frididaire front-loaders. The washer is about 200+ pounds, the dryer only about 100 pounds.
I would be concerned that the floor structure would offer too much flex for the tiles to stay down. What's under the laundry area in the basement? I would reinforce from below.

Old 07-25-06, 05:02 AM
You would be better off doubling up the joists under the entire laundry room.

Old 07-25-06, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Under the launder room, there are two single joints in the middle and on one side is a sister joint, a double joints(I don't know what to call it, there are two joints very close to each other but not sistered) on the other side with is close to the exterior wall.

By reenforce from below, does it mean I need to sister all the single joints? Is this a DIY project?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-06, 05:56 AM
My reinforcement-from-below was more like a vertical post under the area in question. But since the area is adjacent to an exterior wall you may not want to give up that space in the basement.

Old 07-25-06, 10:09 AM
Did you add the beam yourself?