Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Metal Stud Framing for BBQ island

08-03-06, 06:53 PM   #1  
Metal Stud Framing for BBQ island

I'm in the midst of building a BBQ island and i'm using steel stud for the frame. (rust is a non issue since I live in AZ). I know how to make 90 cuts but i have several 45 degree turns in the frame in the design. (J shaped) Is there any easy or standard way to do this? I havent been able to find a good source for a new home owner to learn this. I could "wing it" since it won't be visible after i put the hardibacker board on, but i want to do a quality job. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

TX

08-03-06, 08:56 PM   #2  
Am I understanding you correctly that you want to notch the stud so that it can be bent 45 degrees away from straight? Is that the task at hand?

08-03-06, 09:37 PM   #3  
exactly... the island has a series of three 45 degree turns that form a "J" shape. 90 degree turns are simple enough.. but i'm not certain what the best way to do 45's. My guess is to use two pieces and trim the flange on the first piece so it can be bent, remove the center portion, and screw the 1st's flange into the 2nd piece's flange. Not sure if its that strong enough though. I'm guessing that the center portion would have to be removed b/c i dont think its pliable enough to be bent. Is that the best way to do it?

Search this Thread