roof sheathing

Old 08-13-06, 01:28 PM
roof sheathing

what kind of plywood should i use for my roof sheathing.. I have trusses spaced 24in oc. also what size nails should i use and do they have to be galvanized??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually with 24" centers I like to use 5/8" OSB, or 19/32" as they call it now. Be sure to use clips between sheets, and #8 cc nails. Galvanized is fine, but cement coated gives a better holding power, and hopefully you won't have water getting to the nails.

Old 08-13-06, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by jtb19nh
what kind of plywood should i use for my roof sheathing.. I have trusses spaced 24in oc. also what size nails should i use and do they have to be galvanized??

It all depends what the code is where youíre from. There are many construction forums and I've read that guys use 1/2 osb @ 24' centers with clips. I've never used 1/2" @ 24" centers but a lot of people do.

Here in NJ we use 5/8" roof sheathing. I never use osb and always use fir. I would say that 99% of the plans I get will speck 5/8" for roof sheathing but you can use 1/2" here.

You don't need galvanized nails either. You can use 2" nails or 2-1/2" nails.

Obviously you donít have a set of plans to tell you. Did you draw these plans yourself?

Old 08-13-06, 05:47 PM
JTB - Youir profile doesn't give your location, but if you have any significant snow load, 5/8" plywood is probably your best bet. At 24" OC I wouldn't go with 1/2". Unless you expect a long time between sheathing and roofing, I would just use 8d coated nails.

Old 08-15-06, 02:21 PM
i live in n.h i will go with the 5/8. what are the clips you are talking about between sheets? Also after the roof is sheathed should i put building paper over all the sheathing?

Old 08-15-06, 03:40 PM
The clips mentioned are intended to fit between the edges of the sheets of plywood/OSB where they are not supported by rafters. They slide over the edge of a sheet and the next sheet slides into the clip. They provide a more ridgid roof.
If you intend to install shingles on your roof, felt paper is necessary. I would put it on as soon as the roof is sheathed.

Old 08-15-06, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by jtb19nh
i live in n.h i will go with the 5/8. what are the clips you are talking about between sheets? Also after the roof is sheathed should i put building paper over all the sheathing?
This link will give you an idea of what they are.

http://www.simpsonstrongtie.com/products/cfs/pscl.html