Enclosing shop space within my garage

Old 08-14-06, 10:06 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have some questions regarding what is the most appropriate choice of lumber, particularly for the header and ceiling joists in the project I am about to describe.

Currently I have a 20x20 garage. Maybe it's a little bigger, but I figure that's close enough for the purposes of this question. For what it's worth, the roof pitch rises 6 feet approximately over the 10' it runs. The roof does not have trusses, just 2x6's ever 16" and every third one has a 2x6 going over the 20' length of the garage. Naturally, I don't have more than a few pounds worth of stuff hanging from the rafters...

So, anyway, it was a 2-car garage, but I have 4 old cars to work on and while I had 2 of them inside, I just didn't have anywhere to work. I decided it would be better to have 3 cars in the driveway and put in more workspace in the garage, it's going to be a long time before we can afford to expand or replace the garage with a bigger one, and I have enough material on hand to do most of the work.

I plan to partition off 16'x20' for workshop, and eventually I want to put in ceiling joists so I can insulate the area so I can work in the winter and store some stuff above, nothing real heavy, I probably mostly need to design for supporting my own weight plus the plywood for the floor and a little more. I'll probably also build a vertical beam at the center of the 20' length to give the roof a little more support and eventually a beam over the car side for a chainfall for lifting engines out of cars and/or bodies off frames.

For the time being though, I'm mostly concerned with building the partition wall and the header that I'll eventually use for ceiling joists. I'm planning to build the walls with 2x4, which I have plenty of. Are 2x6 adequate for the ceiling joists? (if not, I have to buy materials and at this time, I dont have any budget)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-06, 12:49 PM

A 20x20 garage and insulating a 14x20 portion? - I would plan on insulating the whole thing. Not much difference in cost and you could have two bays - One for car and one for shop.

Dick

Old 08-14-06, 01:29 PM
W
Oops... I see I got my numbers jumbled around. I'd be partitioning an 8'x20' area, not 16'. I'll be putting up a wall that's about the length of a door, and I have doors I'll be attaching to it on one side for use as a workbench and an upperstorage shelf, or maybe 2 shelves for use in storage of bumpers or doors or something.

That would go up to where the garage door opens on one side (where I will locate my table saw) and on the other side I'll leave an openning of about 8' where I have existing workbenches taking up 3 feet and the rest will be for walking through to the other side/wheeling engines back and forth etc.

The only insulating I can do this year is maybe the ceiling since I have some leftover bats from a ceiling repair in the house. I have a kerosene heater, and the walls are quite pourous so I would not be lacking in ventilation~ But in order to get any heat, I need a smaller area than 20x20, especially considering the ceiling.

I don't know how old the garage is, just that the house was build in 1950. It does not use plywood sheeting, it's all 1x6 on 2x4 framing except for the ceiling joists and door/window headers.