Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wall framing in basement

08-20-06, 05:48 PM   #1  
wall framing in basement

hi all

i'm looking for advice on how to frame basement walls adjacent to the foundation.

i had to remove the existing walls due to some mold buildup. there was no standing water, or even condensation anywhere, so i'm fairly sure it was due to high humidity and the fact that the basement has been closed up for the past couple of months.

anyways, the existing walls are 2x4's framed right against the foundation. can/should i just drywall over this, or should i rip it out and start new? if so, any and all tips (besides hire someone else :-) ) would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links

PA

08-21-06, 09:37 AM   #2  
When you say "right against the foundation" - are the framed walls in contact with the masonry? That's a no-no, because moisture will condense on the cold masonry and sip into wood and insulation. You want to make sure that you have at least 1.5 inch gap between the two walls. Some even suggest filling that gap with rigid foam insulation; I think that a good vaper barrier on the "in"-side is sufficient.

08-23-06, 07:17 AM   #3  
yeah, they are in direct contact, framed right against the foundation.

if i leave the 1.5" gap and fill with rigid board insulation, is that placed directly against the foundation?

PA

08-23-06, 08:21 AM   #4  
Posted By: econguy yeah, they are in direct contact, framed right against the foundation.

if i leave the 1.5" gap and fill with rigid board insulation, is that placed directly against the foundation?

Yes, the theory being that moist air will not condense on warm board insulation. That said, I finished my own basement about 4 years ago with just the gap and paper faced batt insulation in the stud walls. Never had a problem. I do run a basement dehumidifier in the summer.

Try to save what you can, remember mold can be bleached and sanded out of wood. You'll most likely have to toss the tainted fiberglass. Also, before you put the walls back up, check for possible air leaks from the outside, especially between sections of the sole plate and electrical/plumbing penetrations. They could be the culprit of such rapid deterioration. Seal them with expanding foam, if there are any. Good luck

Search this Thread