subfacia

Old 08-23-06, 02:57 PM
subfacia

what kind of wood do i use for the subfacia? at homedepot they have some 1x white pine will that be fine???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 03:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have exposed rafter tails now, it will depend on the distance from the end of the tail to the edge of the sheathing on the roof. In new construction I like to see 2x dimension lumber used as subfascia. It gives continuous support for the fascia material as well as guttering. 1x lumber just doesn't have the holding ability of a larger board.

Old 08-23-06, 03:52 PM
Hey chandler,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but is there any reason that fascia board should be installed over 2x subfascia if there is going to be aluminum fascia put on? I see people do it but I don't understand the reasoning. I'm currently doing roof and soffit and fascia and figured I would skip the 1x board as it seems redundant to me.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-06, 01:52 PM
The way I remember seeing it, if your covering with aluminum no 1x. If the soffit and facia is getting paint or stain, then you would put the 1x and also plywood soffit.

Old 08-24-06, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reply samm. That's what I was thinking but have seen it done differently here on many occasions. Couldn't think of any good reason to add the 1x.

Old 08-24-06, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Right. The dimension lumber aids in helping to prevent the rafter tails from twisting, as the 1x lumber wouldn't. If you are using another type fascia such as aluminum, the you could forego the 1x on the exterior. Just make adjustments to everything that will depend on that 1x lumber being there normally, since your setback will now be 3/4" further.