Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Squeaky floor

08-27-06, 03:58 PM   #1  
Squeaky floor

I have several places where the floor squeaks. I have heard that tightening the bolts under the home will solve this. However, I would have to cut the underbelly to do this. What is a good way to repair the cuts? Is there a special tape that will work? Or is there another way to stop the squeaks beside walking in a big cirlce to avoid those spots. Thanks, Betty

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-28-06, 04:50 AM   #2  
Sometimes you can tighten up the sub floor to the floor joist on the top side. They sell kits for doing this over carpet. Basically you screw the floor and joist back together and then break off the head at the base of the carpet where it should go unnoticed. Occasionaly using a long finish nails will work.

I have used duct tape to seal cuts in the belly wrap but I've never been impressed with the life span of the tape - it usually looses it stickyness after a year or so.

walking around the squeaky area might be the easiest fix but........

Just reread your post, while therre are kits that have bolts and brackets to tighten up loose areas from underneath there aren't bolts under your MH that need tightening to secure the floor. The sub floor is stapled to the floor joists at the factory, it is these staples that are coming loose - only takes a slight amount of looseness to cause a squeaky floor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

08-28-06, 03:26 PM   #3  
Squeaky floor

I don't have carpet in this room. There are square tiles. Do you think I could pull some of them up [carefully] & nail the sud-floor down? Then I could just restick the tiles. Some of the tiles are loose anyway. Betty

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-28-06, 04:02 PM   #4  
Hard to say if you could remove and restick the tiles. If they don't break or warp with removal you would have a fair chance of reinstalling them. Remember the sub floor is only attached to the joists which are spaced approx 16" on centers. Screws will hold better than nails but nails may do the job ok. Be sure the head of the nail/screw is even or slightly recessed so it doesn't interfer with the tiles.

Maybe now is the time to get the new floor covering you have always wanted

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

08-28-06, 04:41 PM   #5  
Squeaky floor

Of course---screws. Don't know why I said nails. I do plan on getting carpet put in later so it won't be a big thing if some don't come up in one piece. I can always put down a throw rug. Anything is better than the squeaking. Thanks for the help. Betty

Search this Thread