Replacing Interior Foundation & wall

Old 09-07-06, 04:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm completely gutting an old farmhouse & the other night while checking beams for when I reframe an exterior wall, I noticed that one of my interior walls had a rotting/termite damaged beam under it. As I dug further I noticed a couple of the tips of the studs were also damaged.

Currently the previous owner had this beam shored up with some concrete blocks that were sitting on the dirt & one sitting on a large steel plate. I would like to pour new concrete piers & replace the beam & reframe the entire wall. It's only about 16'-0" long so why not. The cost impact is minimal.

My question pertains to the piers. Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Seeing as how this is an interior foundation, can I just form up the piers on grade or do I need to excavate down a foot or two? An ideas how big the piers should be?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 09-08-06, 03:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you want to do, I have done many times. There are two ways of doing it. In both ways you need to dig a hole about 8" deep, and at least 12" square. Fill with high strength concrete and rebar. This will be your footing for your posts. The other way is to insert a prepoured pier block in the hole and use this for your post to sit on. Either way is relatively easy. Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-06, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Jack is right about it being a relatively stright forward process.

If you are using an 8" thick pad/footing, do not go over 24" wide without adding extra reinforcement.

I prefer pouring in place on a compacted (beat it down with a 2x8 flat on a the end a piece of 2x4 or 4x4). It eliminates any of the small settlement you may get with a precast concrete unit.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: