Floor Joists

Old 09-11-06, 10:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor Joists

I am remodeling a cottage on Cape Cod and have run into some insect damage. As a result, I will be taking up both underlayment and sub floor, will be able to stand on ground to make repairs. Since it is a humid area and the cottage has a one foot crawl space, can I use pressure trated lumber for the joists? They are presently 24 OC 2x8. My thought was to sister the existing to new. Would I be any better off leaving exsisting and put new in at 16OC? There was no bridging between the joists, we plan to handle that too.
Thanks

Chuck

Old 09-11-06, 12:09 PM
S
Some Insect Damage?

This line leads me to believe you have more than "some insect damage".

---I am remodeling a cottage on Cape Cod and have run into some insect damage. As a result, I will be taking up both underlayment and sub floor, will be able to stand on ground to make repairs.-----

Removing that much structure makes it sound like the insect damage is faily substantial which would cause me to rethink sistering anything to the joists. Have the joists been treated with an insecticide and any and all active infestations been cleared up?

How much is left of the old joists? Can you even get a sistered joist to hold onto the old joist or is the damage to the old joist too severe?

Maybe I'm reading too much into your post.

While you ahve the floor out, I would take care of the moisture problem with some poly properly installed on the crawl space floor. This would allow you to use regular framing lumber and save a few bucks. I would go with the 16" o.c. when reframing forget about sistering the joists, but that's my personal choice.

Old 09-11-06, 02:34 PM
Gettinitdone
Visiting Guest
Pressure treated joists

Pressure treated certainly won't hurt. You should install a vapor barrier on that dirt crawl space floor first. Your insect problem can probably be traced to the crawl being poorly finished.

Old 09-12-06, 06:18 AM
C
Floor Joists

Thanks for the replies. Owned the cottage for four years a nd previous owner had them exterminated during his ownership.There is no active infestation. They are 50 years old and were rental props. We are remodeling for our own use. He covered up alot of problems, poor roofs, water damage, patched sheetrock, suspect wiring and plumbing; typical inexpensive rental props. As we remodel these problems are being attended to and corrected. We live four hours from the cape and this is a weekend endeavor. If we choose to have this exterminated again as a precaution, how long do we have to stay out of the cottage? It is less than 500 sq. ft. Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: