Replacing Floors Joists in Balloon Framing

Old 09-18-06, 03:39 AM
Replacing Floors Joists in Balloon Framing

I'm to the point where I might need to start replacing my floor joists in my complete house remodel. They have run the floor joists the long span direction in most of the rooms. When I replace these joists, I would like to run them in the short span direction to help reduce deflection. Is this possible with balloon framing or must the floor joists run to the same walls as the second floor & roof joists?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 06:25 PM
If your alternate path terminates at ground, yes, you could. I think it might be tricky, but if your situation allows rerouting the joists (without the house collapsing in the process), then go ahead.

I guess you plan on removing the floor completely? Remember, you need a load-bearing path from the joists to the foundation.

I can't understand why the longer span was originally chosen. I suspect the load path (as previously mentioned) has something to do with it.

Old 09-26-06, 05:31 AM
I don't think its a rule of balloon framing that the first floor joists must run the same direction as the second floor and roof joists- the don't in the house I'm in the middle of renovating. First floor (rectangle around 28'x20') had a girder running the middle of the short span then joists running from that to notches in the mudsil. They'd all sagged enough that they were really resting on the top of the foundation. I replaced everything (rot, sagging, etc., etc.)- first putting a beam & jackstands under the joists to one side of the main girder the pulling up the joists on the other side, then cutting the joists on the supported side near the girder and pulling that out. Put in a new girder and then joists on the first side, then took out the joists on the side with the temporary support and replaced them.

Search this Thread