Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding on to porch

09-27-06, 11:28 PM   #1  
Adding on to porch

I have a house built in 1892, And want to add on to the living room by enclosing the front porch. this will add on 6x18'. the only problem wil be that the 18' span is on a load bearing wall over the 2nd floor. I want to put 3 2x10s 18'long to hold it up but I don't know if that will be enough.Any sugestions?
The room should't be too hard with the foundation and roof already there. except for the 18' span.The room up above is 15x18' with the roof old cedar shingles covered by asphalt shingles. I' planning on adding new medal roofing over everything else. ther roof is very high pitched.

Sponsored Links

09-28-06, 04:05 AM   #2  
With a span that large, you need to consult an engineer. I doubt he will let you do the (3) 2x10's & will probably recommend some sort of laminated beam or steel beam, minimum bearing requirements, etc. if it is possible.

09-28-06, 06:13 AM   #3  
Agree with Danno6102 on the beam.

You mentioned having asphalt shingles over cedar shingles, and that you intend on puting a metal roof over all of that. I would suggest you consider stripping the asphalt and cedar off first. Besides the cumulative weight of the multiple roofs, it becomes difficult to securely anchor the new roof. You have a lot to go through before you hit something solid.

09-29-06, 01:18 AM   #4  
Does your porch have a competent foundation or is it the typical post and beam.

09-29-06, 06:49 AM   #5  
foundation

THe foundation is regular brick. But I'm adding 8x8x16" blockAnd a 1' footing. I have a contractor comming out to look at the 18' span.

09-29-06, 07:25 PM   #6  
Be careful what you agree too.
The contractor may offer you services which an engineer offers, and than have the engineer do the work.
Why pay twice.

Here is a link that you can find civil/structural engineers in your area;
http://www.thebluebook.com/

09-29-06, 09:58 PM   #7  
18'span

I'm going to do the floor and framing and a contractor will do the joist span after I have torn out the wall, he said that I could get a laminant joist and hangers to put it up.since balloon construction uses 4x6's at the corners, he didn't see a problem.

10-01-06, 01:19 AM   #8  
Posted By: Big TT he said that I could get a laminant joist and hangers to put it up.since balloon construction uses 4x6's at the corners, he didn't see a problem.
And his "civil/structural" engineers license is.....

Let me offer you a brief lesson on how walls work.

A wall is a panel. To prevent the top and bottom from becoming out of plum, vertical, the walls are covered with materials which have by their composition and prescribed method of attachment, an inherent capability to resist this.
In the determination of what materials to use and the method they are employed to resist the loads placed upon it, the openings are taken into consideration.
When you increase the width of a "design opening," you'll need to reestablish the resistance of the wall by increasing its resistance through the use of connectors and other structural elements.

Respectfully, these values ARE NOT determined by some contractor who "didn't see a problem," but by a registered engineer with a license and professional reputation to protect

Search this Thread