Floor Leveling Compound

Old 10-11-06, 08:47 AM
Floor Leveling Compound

I am having a few problems leveling out the floor of a new adition that I am building. I am using '"Brand X" univeral patch and skimcoat', and have already applied one layer. The problem is that by following the directions on the bag (2.5 parts powder to 1 part liquid latex), I wound up with a very stiff semi-liquid that had a similar consistancy to cake-icing. I have high spots and ridges everywhere that I am now having to sand down. The stuff sets pretty much to concrete in about 10 minutes and I have to make it in fairly large batches since it is supposed to be mechanically mixed. If I could just shake up the mix a few cupfulls at a time in a plastic quart jar, this would be a lot easier. Anyhow, does anybody know how this stuff is supposed to be mixed so it will actually flow and be level?

Last edited by WanderingOak; 10-12-06 at 11:34 AM. Reason: brand name removed
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-06, 11:25 AM
I am doing a bit of research to determine the best mix for this stuff. I mixed up 6 small batches with various proportions and poured them to dry in cheap aluminum pie tins. The plastic quart container worked perfectly for mixing a small batch. I will provide an update when the samples dry. So far, the best seems to be a mix that uses both liquid latex and water. However, the mfgr's instructions warn of unspecific dire consequinses when this is done. Does anybody know why?

Old 10-13-06, 06:34 PM
I won't be much help. I have never used Brand X. I have always used Brand Z which you mix with water. Never had a problem.

Old 10-14-06, 04:45 AM
I used Henry brand, I just wasn't sure of forum policies regarding brand names. I have been on other forums where members were told that the forum could be subject to lawsuits if brand names were mentioned. Supposedly, what the latex does is make the compound more flexible and adhere to wood better. It also makes the mix a bit thicker than straight water, or a blend of the two.

Anyhow, it looks like 3 parts powder, and one part each of latex and water flows well and is rather durable.

Old 10-14-06, 07:51 AM
Yes, we are not supposed to use Brand names, but sometimes the brand name is the product. You know like jello. Not a problem. Yes, I know what the latex is supposed to do. I still use Brand Z. You are experiencing the problems that I do not have. Have a good day.

Old 10-14-06, 11:43 AM
Fair enough. I just finished laying down the thinner mixture, and it didn't try to harden while I was laying it down, and cleanup was considerably easier than before. I still have concrete lining a 5 gallon bucket and my drill mixer. Also, since I didn't need much, the quart shaker was the perfect size for mixing up just enough.

Old 10-17-06, 04:08 PM
Did this work?

I have a small patch that needs to be leveled...it's either patch that with leveler or do the whole sub floor.