Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Good/Common Practice: Cut holes in rim joist to install sistering I joists?

Good/Common Practice: Cut holes in rim joist to install sistering I joists?

Old 10-24-06, 11:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Good/Common Practice: Cut holes in rim joist to install sistering I joists?

I've got 2X 8 joists that run 12'. 1/3 of the span has a plaster hallway wall on top of them and its caused those joists to sag due to the weight.
A contractor suggested using I joists on several of the joists to sister after he put a post acorss and jack up the middle of the joists (the lowest part). They probably sag 1-2 inches in the middle.
He wants to install the I joists from outside the house thru the rim joist. He'll open up the rim joist outside and slide them in from there all the way to rest on the main beam alongside the sagging joist.
What do you guys thing about this method? Coming in from the rim joist from outside? He estimated cost to do this to 8 joists in 1 day. So he would be jacking up the center of the sagging joists (1-2") in only 1 day. Please any input is appreciated.

Old 10-24-06, 02:42 PM
J
Originally Posted by jaybird20
I've got 2X 8 joists that run 12'. 1/3 of the span has a plaster hallway wall on top of them and its caused those joists to sag due to the weight.
A contractor suggested using I joists on several of the joists to sister after he put a post acorss and jack up the middle of the joists (the lowest part). They probably sag 1-2 inches in the middle.
He wants to install the I joists from outside the house thru the rim joist. He'll open up the rim joist outside and slide them in from there all the way to rest on the main beam alongside the sagging joist.
What do you guys thing about this method? Coming in from the rim joist from outside? He estimated cost to do this to 8 joists in 1 day. So he would be jacking up the center of the sagging joists (1-2") in only 1 day. Please any input is appreciated.

Call someone else in there to look at this. You have other problems with a 1-2" sag in your floor.You have other problems with that much sag onlt 1/3 of the span in.

What's on top of that wall that's causing the sag?

What makes this guy think that he can jack up 1-2" in one day and then sister I-joists next to them withouit cracking everything above, and then thinking that the I-joist will solve the problem?

Old 10-25-06, 07:12 AM
J
Let me clarify; The sag is about 1-2" mid span of the 12' span (floor). The hallway wall sits on about the first 3.5' of the span off the main beam. I believe from/after talking wth the contractor that the weight from that wall and another smaller hallway wall on the 2nd floor above are both bearing down on those joists. There is also a cast iron bath tub in the locale of the dim. No rot is evident.

The house design is a center stairway cape. 1600sqft. Very typical NE 1950's style.

I thought that seemed like alot to jack up in 1 day. $1,800

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: