Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor load in Cedar kit home?

10-27-06, 08:20 PM   #1  
Floor load in Cedar kit home?

Hello All,

I can't figure out the online floor load calculators so I found you.

Upstairs I have 2"x6" T&G flooring over 4" x 8" cealing beams on 28" centers, spanning 14 feet. Can you give me a rough idea of this would be enough to support a waterbed? The exposed wood beams have knots and checkering so I guess it's #2 Doug fir. Cal king WB with a 33 sq ft pedestal.

Will I fall through the floor?

Regards,

Hobbitgal

Sponsored Links

OH

10-27-06, 08:46 PM   #2  
If it helps, water weighs one pound/pint. Waterbeds can weigh 1800# or more. Weight is distributed over a large area with marketers claiming waterbeds weigh less per square foot than your refrigerator and if house was built to code that it should be able to handle the weight.

10-27-06, 09:23 PM   #3  
Thanks for the comeback! Well, from what I've seen on the internet, sleeping area live load is 30 lbs per square foot, a cal king (H2O 9 inches deep in a 6' x8' frame) on 33 sq ft of pedestal is 70.5 per sq ft. (Unless I screwed up my math.)

These kit houses are just a bit different, span wise, so I don't know if the waterbed guys are right.

This is a wonderful site, and I look forward to spending more time here.

Thanks!

Search this Thread