New with 2 questions

Old 10-30-06, 06:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile New with 2 questions

Hi everyone...

I am hoping that someone could answer a couple questions for me.

I am considering purchasing a 1972 mobile home. It is a 2 bedroom however I want to convert the family room into a thrid bedroom . Basically I will need to remove a sliding glass door and put in a window and add 2 walls. Is it possible to do this kind of work inside a mobile home.

Also I have a 55 gallong fish tank and was wondering if the floor would support the weight of the tank. I believe its about 400 pounds

Old 10-31-06, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Basically any remodeling you can do to a conventional home, can also be done to a MH. MHs are just a little more complicated when making changes.

The biggest problem you will encounter changing the sliding glass door into a window will be covering the outside. What type of siding and roof does the MH have? Is it a double wide?

To meet code the new interior walls will have to have electrical outlets wired in.

Most MHs have 5/8" particle board for a sub floor. They often substain water damage along the outside walls and from faulty plumbing - usually near the sink and in the baths. Be sure to inspect those areas well prior to purchasing.

If the floor is solid it should be able to handle the fish tank but IMO it would be a good idea to set the tank base on plywood to help distribute the load better.

Old 10-31-06, 01:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You may find subfloor to be plywood, Oriented Strand Board (OSB) or particle board in older mobile homes, depending upon manufacturer. A spill of 55 gallons on either subfloor would not be a good thing. The subfloor should be able to support 400 lbs.

Converting a familyroom to an extra bedroom should be no problem. As long as it has a separate door to close for privacy, you should be good to go. Is it necessary to convert the sliding glass door to a wall with window? Many bedrooms, especially master bedrooms, have doors to the exterior.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: