Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How best to frame the floor of a loft in my garage.

10-30-06, 08:52 PM   #1  
How best to frame the floor of a loft in my garage.

The first two bays of my garage have a bedroom above them. The third bay is unfinished and 2 stories high. I want to build a 2nd floor with a pull down ladder. The wall next to the finished bedroom has been drywalled while the other wall (exterior) is open studs. All the walls in question are load bearing.

I believe that the proper way to do this is to remove the drywall where the 2x6 (header board?) will be attached to the walls studs with bolts. And, of course attach an opposite header board to the exposed studs on the other wall. Then put up 2x6 floor joists using joist hangers and cover with plywood (1/2 or 5/8 or 3/4 in plywood?).

Have I got this right?
Am I missing anything?
What size bolts (and washers should I use to attach a 2.6 to a 2x4?
Are 18" centers reasonable or should I go 12"?
The ladder will have to fit between the floor joists so 12" is a little tight.
If money were no object, is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

TN

10-31-06, 05:16 AM   #2  
Garage loft

Folding stairways are made to fit between trusses which have been installed in 24 inch centers. Keep this in mind when doing the framing lay out.

How long is the span for the joists for the second flooor?
I do not believe 2x6's will be adequate.

10-31-06, 09:45 PM   #3  
Frame the floor of my garage loft.

Thanks for your reply. Without exactly measuring, the span is about 10 feet. I'll have to do some research about whether I should use 2 x 8 joists. So larger joists and further apart?

George

OH

10-31-06, 11:13 PM   #4  
If researching joist size and feasibility of your project, the best place to begin research is at your local building code office. Any changes to structure must meet building codes and require a permit if living in an area where building codes are enforced. Your local building code office can accurately answer all your questions. Building codes tend to vary from area to area.

TN

11-01-06, 04:42 AM   #5  
Joists

Normal joist spacing is 16 in. on center.

Remember the 24 in oc reqirement for the stairway.
I would get the exact measurements for the stairway rough opening before framing is begun.

12-05-06, 10:18 AM   #6  
Garage Loft Completed!

Thank you for all your advice.

I just wanted to circle back and close the loop.

I submitted my plans to the township building department and they approved them. I built the loft by attaching 2x8 ledger boards to the existing studs with 1/2" x 4" lag screws. Then I hung 2x8 joists using joist hangars on 16" centers. I built out the opening to the 25 x 54 pull down stairs with double cross joists and double parallel joists. I used 5/8" plywood as the flooring.

The inspector passed the attic floor with flying colors.

Now onto the next project.

Thanks.

George Kopf

Search this Thread