removing bearing wall

Old 11-05-06, 03:53 AM
removing bearing wall

I'm planning an addition to my house. It's just a ranch on a slab. i want to istall a beam in the attic to support the ceiling below it, and remove the bearing wall, creating a 30' x 25' space. the current ceiling joists are 2 x 6. I've tried looking at span charts, but can't understand them. How big does my beam have to be. I've thought about engeenered lumber, but installing one 30'+ beam as a remodel, I think would be very difficult. thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 06:23 AM
Bumpah - If you can't determine the beam size from on line span tables, I suggest that you get it sized by a structural engineer. I don't think anyone here is going to recommend a beam for such a critical application.

You also need to think about how a beam above the ceiling joists is going to support the joists. A typical beam install has the joists resting on the beam, or if the beam is to be hidden, the joists are suspended from the beam using joist hangers.

Old 11-05-06, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by bumpah
I'm planning an addition to my house. It's just a ranch on a slab. i want to istall a beam in the attic to support the ceiling below it, and remove the bearing wall, creating a 30' x 25' space. the current ceiling joists are 2 x 6. I've tried looking at span charts, but can't understand them. How big does my beam have to be. I've thought about engeenered lumber, but installing one 30'+ beam as a remodel, I think would be very difficult. thanx

You have no choice but to get an Architect or Engineer in there for something that big. Can it be done, yes but a 30' beam needs to be designed.

I built my friends house and he had two 40' I-beams running parallel to each other 6' apart that were 24" high and 14" wide with no columns in between. They were on the first floor and we glued and bolted LVL's on top and hung all the I-joist from there. The bottom of the I-beams was sticking into the basement.

Your case the bottom of a beam will be flush with your ceiling joists using hangers. If an I-beam is specked, you will have to pack them out so that you can nail your joists on with hangers.

There's a company called "Better Header" that makes I-beams and Flitch Plates that are already packed out and cut and delivered to your house. Then you have to find a way to put the beam up.

http://www.betterheader.com/

A 30' beam with no columns is going to be very big and will probably be steel.