Missing Sub-Floor

Old 11-07-06, 05:39 AM
Unhappy Missing Sub-Floor

I recently purchased a 1926 home and there is no sub-floor under the tounge&groove oak flooring. There is full access to the underside and the joists are 2x8 on 24, span 10 feet from foundation to center 6x6 support. Pulling up the floor is not a option I want to consider. Is there any other option???

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 06:12 AM
Eighty Years and Counting

If this floor has been around for 80 years in this construction manner, you have to ask yourself if it is really necessary to change it.

Unless the floor is flexing or gives some excessive bounce when you walk on it, I'd leave it alone.

If there is some problem, the only way you can put a subfloor in is to pull up the old floor, something you indicated you didn't want to pursue at this time.

Old 11-08-06, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the flooring you have now is not degraded, keep it. If you want to install another floor covering (carpet, tile, laminate, etc.), then I would install at least 1/2" plywood over the flooring you have now. I am sure it is not perfectly smooth, and any aberritions you have in the floor will telegraph to the finished floor once it is installed. Of course installing another layer of plywood, will necessitate the possible undercutting of door frames, and shortening of doors. Just a thought. Good luck with the project.