Metal Sub Floor

Old 11-16-06, 10:02 AM
Question Metal Sub Floor

Am looking at a house to purchse that we have discovered through a recent inspection report has a metal subfloor through about half of the house. What are the benefits and/or disadvantages of a metal subfloor?
Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Wood and Laminated Flooring forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-16-06 at 11:23 AM. Reason: See note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-06, 08:24 PM
I see no one's answered this and I don't want you to feel ignored. I personally didn't answer it due to a stunned silence when I read it. In all my years doing floors, I've never seen a metal sub floor and have no clue what to say about it. It's possible some one else has and has just not seen this yet, and then again....

Old 11-16-06, 08:34 PM
Wink

The only time I can think of a metal floor. Is in welding shops. So you can tack some thing down to it. I dont see how you can have it in a home with the noise that you will have walking on it. You dont say what is it on ???? Steel bar joist??? Did they do it to get a open span under it??? You have a lot of ifs ifs here

Old 11-17-06, 05:40 AM
Subfloor

Could it be metal decking covered with concrete?

Old 11-17-06, 06:50 AM
It could be metal decking with a wood floor over it...I just saw the pictures in the inspection and it is a corrugated metal subfloor. The inside of the house has carpet and linoleum so there is obviously something over the metal floor. The floor is very quiet to walk on. Not a lot of creaking that you normally hear in a pier and beam house.

Thanks to those who have answered! I was beginning to feel ignored! I had never heard of this either so I thought I'd throw it out there...Have not been able to find much online about it.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-06, 06:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of any reason anyone would install wood over metal but with the corrugated steel it is highly likely that it was used to hold concrete which then may have had wood over it. Carpet and vinyl are often laid directly over concrete. What section of the country is the house in?

Since an elevated concrete floor is more expensive than wood, I would wonder why it was done. Did that section of the floor used to be a garage?

Old 11-17-06, 07:17 AM
I was assuming there is wood over the corrugated metal, but are you saying it is more likely there is concrete over the metal and then the inside flooring is on top of the concrete? This is on the whole front section of the house-entry, hallway and bedrooms. Was never a garage. The house is in central Texas.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-17-06, 07:54 AM
Wink

Not sure what you have. But like I said. In Comm. building sometimes . With the bar joist then the corrugated steel . They pour a 2" light weight cement over it for the floor. Can that be what you have ?????

Old 11-17-06, 08:07 AM
That could be it- We will have to investigate a little more. Thanks!