Removing gun safe studs in concrete floor

Old 11-20-06, 08:41 PM
Removing gun safe studs in concrete floor

The previous owner of our house had a gun safe bolted to the floor (carpet over concrete), and now I want to remove them. I clamped my trusty Vise-Grips on and tried to unscrew them to no avail - they simply rotate... Anyone have an idea of how I can get these "ultimate" toe-stubbers out of the floor??? Thanks! Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 09:13 PM
I think you'd do more harm then good trying to remove them whole. How about cutting them off, grinding them down and then fill the holes with an epoxy? I wouldn't want to risk breaking up the slab trying to force them out.

Old 11-20-06, 09:42 PM
So, I guess there's no way to remove them by unscrewing/pulling and not damage the slab, yes? I had a hunch I may have to grind them off. The only catch is that I have low cut pile carpet on the floor, so I didn't want to cut/melt/goof-up the carpet. Is it possible to lift the carpet up and peel it back far enough to expose the studs and attack them without the carpet getting in the way, and then putting the carpet back down nice and snug against the wall?

Old 11-21-06, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by eljefe
So, I guess there's no way to remove them by unscrewing/pulling and not damage the slab, yes? I had a hunch I may have to grind them off. The only catch is that I have low cut pile carpet on the floor, so I didn't want to cut/melt/goof-up the carpet. Is it possible to lift the carpet up and peel it back far enough to expose the studs and attack them without the carpet getting in the way, and then putting the carpet back down nice and snug against the wall?
I don't know how they are fastened into the concrete. If they ARE able to be screwed outwards and you can't get a decent enough purchase on them with vise-grips, try the jam nut method if there's enough thread to do so. Get 2 nuts on that thread, jam them together and use a big wrench.

If they're not able to come out without tearing up the slab, then I'd do as you suggest, peel the carpet back and cut 'em off. Worst that can happen with the carpet is that you rent a carpet stretching tool to put back the carpet. I sure wouldn't want to chip up the concrete getting these studs outta there though.

Old 11-21-06, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the help!

Old 12-19-06, 12:55 PM
what diameter are the studs?

Search this Thread