laying out subflooring on lapped joists

Old 11-20-06, 09:10 PM
laying out subflooring on lapped joists

I am converting my garage into a family room. I first closed off the rollup door with a new footing and 8" wall concrete wall across. Built my wall on top of that. There is a entry door immediately next to it which will remain so I am leaving a 5x8 ground level entry as you walk in the door. There is a utility room just off this entry which will remain ground level as well. The rest of the garage will be elevated floor. The house is built with a crawlspace and this will create a 7" step up into the house and still leave me with 9' ceilings in the new room.

I installed 2x10 pressure treated rim joists around the perimeter of my 17X20 garage (less the entryway). The whole garage slab has a 6 mil vapor barrier and I also put roofing paper underneath the rim joists. I then ran 2x8's on joist hangars for the flooring, 16" O.C.. On the wide section, 17' across, I used 10' 2x8's, lapped, blocked and supported by a pressure treated 2x4 running perpindicular to the joists down the middle, stud-gunned to the slab. In the narrow section next to the entryway, I simply used 12' 2x8's for joists which will be blocked and supported in the center as well.

I am in a quandary about laying out the plywood since I offset the joists on one side by 1.5". I figure I can do one of two things; sister some 2x4's to make up for it or just cut the plywood short as much as needed? I am not worried about extra work, it's not that big of an area, more worried about structural integrity. I am leaning towards cutting ply as needed but want opinions of those that are far more knowledeable and experienced!

While I'm at it! I am using 3/4" t&g and am wondering if I should trim the tongue for the wall side of the plywood? I will be using adhesive and I think 2" drywall screws to fasten. Does that sound kosher?

Thanks and sorry for the long read, wanted to be as descriptive as possible!

Howard

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 09:20 PM
Wink

Id cut the plywood to fit to make up that 1.5"
You have to cut it any way. So the next sheet of ply end is in the middle of the first sheet.

Old 11-21-06, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id cut the plywood to fit to make up that 1.5"
You have to cut it any way. So the next sheet of ply end is in the middle of the first sheet.
Ed, looks like that's the best way, thanks for the reply!