Rasing Floor

Old 11-22-06, 02:11 PM
Question Rasing Floor

Hello,

We have a room that steps down approx 5in. I'm really wanting to raise the floor in the room to make it flush with the rest of the house. What is the best way to do this? We are also planning on having this room and the next room tiled... the rest of the house has concrete subfloors so whatever we do should be flush with the concrete step in the room... right?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited by angelbaby7898; 11-22-06 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 02:40 PM
If the rest of the floors are concrete, and this one will be wood, make sure you determine what type of backer you will be using for the tile and build the raised part strong enough for tile and with enough drop from the rest of the floors that they will all end up the same level by the time you're ready to install the tile after any backer has been applied. You'll want a seamless transition from one to the other and the backer board will provide that. Just one of several ideas would be to build the floor so it's half an inch low, fill that half inch in with concrete board. and then apply Ditra over all the surfaces to be tiled. You may be able to skip the concrete board step and build the new area the same level as the old and then do the Ditra, but I'm not familiar enough with the product to say definitively. There are other installers on this site who are and will chime in soon. I am, however, certain that what ever you do will have to be able to compensate for the expansion and contraction differences between wood and tile and will need to be able to handle the seam issue between the areas.

Old 11-22-06, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the input, but this leads me to another question... How do I know if the support is strong enough? I'd hate to find out later that what I thought was strong enough turned out not to be

Ok, thought of a few more questions...

Does the wood support need to be secured to the concrete? Also should I have a layer of plywood before the cement board for the tile?

thanks for the help.

Last edited by angelbaby7898; 11-22-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 08:41 PM
Hopefully, one of these other guys will wade in because I'm not sure of the requirements. I believe it's sixteen inches on center. As I understand it, you're raising the level of a concrete floor six inches to meet the level of another concrete floor which leads me to believe the new floor will be directly on a concrete slab. If this is truly the case, your requirements shouldn't be quite as stringent because the reason for them is to be certain the floor is strong enough to not flex. Since the new is sitting on a concrete slab, flexing shouldn't be an issue. The decking can sag between the floor joists however, so they need to be close enough together to eliminate that and the decking needs to be thick enough for the same reason, but I'm not up on the exact measurements. These requirements have been discussed in detail in previous threads which you may want to look for if no one else chimes in.

I don't think so on securing the wood to the concrete. If it's built well and tied into the existing walls and sitting on the concrete, it shouldn't flex.

Yes on the decking under the concrete board. The board by itself is not strong enough.

Old 11-24-06, 12:26 PM
Just a thought, but where do the walls stop? If they have the same height for the bottom plate as the rest of the house, could you just fill in the sunken part with concrete? I may be missing something but this sounds like the strongest and longest term solution to me.

Old 11-27-06, 08:31 AM
Well... Concrete was a thought of mine but unsure if I could lay 5 more inches of concrete over existing concrete.... I thought that was a no no. As you can see I'm inexperienced with concrete I'm not even sure how to go about laying concrete in a room.