replace subfloor

Old 11-26-06, 08:57 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
replace subfloor

If I cut out the old subfloor and put a piece of 3/4" ext grade plywood in its place, what is the best way to shim the joists beneath to bring the floor up to level 5/8" on one end and fill in all the uneven joists?
This is a manufactured truss system made of 2x4's connected with metal hangars much as attics are. They are not even.
I have heard of roofing shingles but think compression over time might be a problem. ?Conventional shims from the lumber yard tapped in at opposite drections from each side? Then pilot holes thru the ply + shims and drill all into the 2x4's beneath.

Old 11-26-06, 12:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know what is best, but I used asphalt shingles on a flooring repair approx. 2 years ago and have not noticed any ill effects. Just one man's experience...

Old 11-26-06, 02:41 PM
P
subfloor

I appreciate the information.
I looked in the celler and there is an a/c duct right under where I would need a support so there goes the replacement idea.
Do you have any thoughts to level a floor that has uneven joists and slopes 5/8" on a 5' run. I have persued this b/c I'm stuck and need to figure something out.

Old 12-08-06, 02:04 PM
S
Originally Posted by peterr
I appreciate the information.
I looked in the celler and there is an a/c duct right under where I would need a support so there goes the replacement idea.
Do you have any thoughts to level a floor that has uneven joists and slopes 5/8" on a 5' run. I have persued this b/c I'm stuck and need to figure something out.

I've used Phoenixboard shims from Fortifiber. They are dense cardboard but will not compress under loads. They are like 45" long. I don't know where I got them but you could do a Google for Fortifiber

Old 12-08-06, 08:09 PM
S
One idea

I would nail 2x4's to the side of the existing floor members. Make sure you hold the one end where you want it then use a level to determine where to nail the other end.

Old 12-09-06, 03:46 AM
P
supports

Originally Posted by stevetuttle
I would nail 2x4's to the side of the existing floor members. Make sure you hold the one end where you want it then use a level to determine where to nail the other end.
The 2x4's are flat or horizontal and connect to another 2x4 beneath with metal hangars -manufactured trusses. The wood is hard pine and even with pilot holes it would difficult.
Thanx for the idea and let me mull it over. I had wished to 'sister' but the things like ac and the closet under the toilet give me little room. Besides the mail sister 2x4 would run thru the ac vent on the rise.

Old 12-21-06, 12:58 AM
This is a confusing post i am still trying to figure out what you want to do?

If it is just leveling the floor, just rip your own floor sleepers. take a 2x4 mark one end 5/8" (along the 3 1/2" way) and snap a chalk line down to 0 at a point 5' away. so when you are done it looks like a 5' long door stop. install these opposite the slope of the existing floor and tada you have your level floor.

Old 12-21-06, 12:34 PM
P
level floor

Originally Posted by CDNMoose1
This is a confusing post i am still trying to figure out what you want to do?

If it is just leveling the floor, just rip your own floor sleepers. take a 2x4 mark one end 5/8" (along the 3 1/2" way) and snap a chalk line down to 0 at a point 5' away. so when you are done it looks like a 5' long door stop. install these opposite the slope of the existing floor and tada you have your level floor.
>> Sorry to confuse you but four contractors are still scracthing their heads.
Your idea sounds good except the support that runs parallel to the tub about 3/12' to 4' long is about a foot from the tub and is lower than the next support which causes the toilet to rise. After that it is down hill to the low spot but the supports undulate or some are higher + lower than the ones next to them. If I pulled the floor I was going to sand the one high support, use a level and shim any low supports with roofing shingles, then use the old floor as a template over a new 3/4' floor which I would lay on the supports.
Thanx for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: