Cutting subfloor close to the wall

Old 11-27-06, 01:58 PM
Cutting subfloor close to the wall

I need to replace the subfloor in the kitchen. I would to like go with 5/8" Plywood. Currently we have .5 in. Plywood. So I need to remove all the old plywood. What is the best way to cut close to walls? I have been using a cirrcular saw but the guard does not let me cut close enough to the walls. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 03:46 PM
In an earlier thread, Carpets done Wright suggested using an electric undercut saw held against the wall instead of the floor so it cuts the floor instead of the base or door trim to trim laminate that had been installed too tight. It may work in this situation as well.

Old 11-27-06, 04:02 PM
Rent the circular saw used to cut the bottoms from installed doors to clear carpet. It's fairly pricey and you won't use it again.

Old 12-01-06, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I decided I was too cheap. So I went with a hand saw, sawzall, dremel, and chisel. The dremel was disappointing. The sawzall did more detail work than I anticipated. I just had to be very careful so it was time consuming.

Old 12-01-06, 07:44 PM
Aww.. The good old sawzall. Those things are so handy, I think God must have used one to creat the world. You didn't cut the floor joists, did you?

Old 12-01-06, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pete_NewToThis View Post
Thanks for the replies. I decided I was too cheap. So I went with a hand saw, sawzall, dremel, and chisel. The dremel was disappointing. The sawzall did more detail work than I anticipated. I just had to be very careful so it was time consuming.
Did you have a wall that ran parallel with the joists that landed in between the joists?