Questions on Replacing Rotten Subfloor

Old 11-30-06, 08:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions on Replacing Rotten Subfloor

Upon discovering a soft spot in a small bathroom, I tore up the vinyl flooring and discovered rotted planks.

The Planks I believe are 2x6 T&G 48" on center.

My questions are

1) If I remove all the rotted planks, do I need to replace it with planks again or can I go with plywood.

2) If the rotted wood ends up between the 48" on center joists, how do I support the ends of the new plank or must I cut to the nearest joist.

3) If a half of a plank is under a non load bearing wall(Its a closet behind it so its only like 3 feet long), must I tear down the wall to replace or can I cut the bottoms of the studs, knock out the bottom 2x4, slide in the new plank, slide in the new bottom 2x4, then toe nail all the studs back?

4) I probably know the answer to this but if 12 inches of rotted wood goes under the shower stall, must I rip out the shower to replace the planks? By the way one joist is about 12 inches into the shower right before the drain and 48" in front of the shower there is another joist 6 inches inside the door.(So I could be lucky) The rot appears to only be between the joists but I asked question 2) just in case. (Need to tear into the shower to see.)

Thanks

Old 12-01-06, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you view any of the subflooring from underneath? It may be that all you have extending into the closet and under the shower area is a little discoloration that has dried, and poses no structural threat. If this is the case I would avoid cutting more than I have to. You will have to support all the edges of the new wood, and, yes, you can use plywood of the proper thickness to replace the planks. Be aware, however, the planks are probably a full 3/4" thick and the best you will be able to do on plywood is 23/32". I know it is only a 32nd of an inch, but it will cause a seam on linoleum. No problem with tile, however. So you may have to float the area to make it perfectly level.

Old 12-01-06, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Vinyl should have luan underlayment and tile, wonder board. Both should take care of any discrepencies in height - plus eliminate the crack at the seam.

Old 12-01-06, 08:13 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would replace the rotted planks with plywood. If you come up a little shy on thickness you can use roofing felt glued or stapled to the joists to make up the difference.
You can add framing between the joists to provide support for the plywood/plank seams or you can cut the planks so the plywood will fall midway on a joist.

Old 12-01-06, 04:48 PM
R
Thanks for all the responses. A couple more questions.

1) I believe the planks are a lot thicker than 3/4". Like 1-1/2", probably needed because of the 48" span between joists. With this said, if I use plywood, do I just use (2) 3/4" sheets sandwich?

2) I saw that framing was used where the toilet. Since I'm kind of an overkill guy I'm wondering if there will be too much flex if I have a piece of plank or plywood sitting on half of the 4x6 joists. Meaning 1-1/2" on each end. Should I sister a piece on each joists so the new piece is resting on 3 inches of wood ? Or is framing down the middle, too much overkill? By the way, the portion that is rotted is right when you step into the door so neither the toilet nor the shower rests totally on it.

Thanks. I think I'm just about there.

Old 12-01-06, 05:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
#1 - are you sure about the 4' span??? Floor joists are normally on 16" centers. Even with 2x6's, a 2' span would be a lot.

#2 - 4x6 joists? What type of framing does your house have? What area do you live in?
I've never run across any framing such as you describe.

Old 12-03-06, 10:08 AM
R
1) Yes, I am positive. Been in the crawl space many times now.

2) I don't know much about framing but I am guessing it would be post/pier and beam? Essentially concrete foundation around the perimeter. These 4x6 beams/joists spanning the width of the house(48" apart). 3 concrete piers(the cut off pyramid type you see at the home centers) supporting each beam/joist in the middle. I think a total of 33 of these piers in the middle.Ends of the beams/joists rest on the top plate of the perimeter foundation. Subfloor are 2x6 planks. Can't tell you how long they are but they are lonnng. I could check.

California.

Old 12-03-06, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would probably best to replace it the same as how it was built. I don't know if anyone less than an engineer would be qualified to advise changing the construction although I'd doubt it would hurt anything to beef it up if needed. It is common to sister in a nailer when making repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: