Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Joining bathroom subflooring rotton what do I do?!?!

Joining bathroom subflooring rotton what do I do?!?!

Old 12-15-06, 08:39 PM
Question Joining bathroom subflooring rotton what do I do?!?!

The sub-floor between my adjoining bathrooms is rotton, in-fact it is now a 6in whole at the base of the adjoining wall.

How do i need to replace the subfloor? It does not look like the wall is load bearing, I am 99% sure of that.

If the wall is still good do i still need to take it down?

How far past the bad floor should I go, first joist or more?

Also a friend said to use treated lumber like what one would use on a deck to repair or replace. Is there any pros or cons with ding this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-06, 12:49 AM
OK first you dont ever want to put PT wood INDOORS it contains firmeldihide and is now known to be very bad for your health, especially in children. second: yes you can go one joist space back that should be suffice. just remember to glue and screw down any new sub floor.
you shouldnt have to do anything with the existing wall as long as you have access from below to work on the new subfloor. ( like cutting out the old floor and guiding in the new piece.)
and make sure you address why the problem was there to begin with.... make sure it dosent happen to you again in the future.

Old 12-21-06, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information, and I never thougt about the chemicels in PT lumber, I have 4 little ones and don't want to cause them anyproblems.